Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

A descriptive essay on “addiction I had" - Tips & Samp

• January 18, 2022 12:16 PM +06

A descriptive essay is a genre that requires a comprehensive description of the given topic. The description or summarization of the given topic is usually done by describing the relative facts and details. The descriptive essay can be a detailed summary of the object, an emotional experience, someplace, or a process. The main motive of writing a descriptive essay is to create a detailed image about the given topic in the reader’s mind by help of an essay writer online.

To write a good descriptive essay, regular writing practice is the key to success. Regular writing enhances the writing skills which enables you to stimulate the readers' mind through appealing structure. The main characteristics of descriptive writing are as follow:

Online Fiction Writing Course: Start Writing Fiction

•         It appeals to the readers and builds a sensory connection with the reader.
    •         It is plausible and concrete.
    •         It includes proper adjectives or nouns and builds a specific picture in the mind of the reader.
    •   The use of figurative language, metaphor and analogies help the readers to understand the  context.
    •         It is written in a coherent and organized manner.
    •         It evokes the emotions and feelings that the writer wants to convey to the readers.

To write a descriptive essay, you must be aware of the important elements and steps of writing a descriptive essay.

1.       Firstly, you have to select a topic on which you are planning to write a detailed essay. When I write my essay, I select topics which have a positive impact on readers' minds. For example, the topic which I selected for writing a descriptive essay as a sample is ‘The Addiction I Had’.
    2.       Secondly, creating a thesis statement is one of the most critical parts of writing a descriptive essay. It helps the readers to understand the main idea and purpose of writing the essay. The thesis statement of the selected topic will explain how addiction negatively influenced my physical, mental and social development.
    3.       The third step is devising an outline of the topic on which you want to write an essay. An outline helps the writer to organize the thoughts and to present the ideas in a structured manner. A professional essay writer makes an outline that includes an introduction, body paragraph and conclusion. For example, while writing an outline for ‘ The addiction I had’ write an introduction about the addiction and its impacts, followed by body paragraphs in which you can explain the circumstances which led to developing an addiction.
    4.       Use of expressive language while writing a descriptive essay is crucial. The main purpose of writing a descriptive essay is to convey the story or description to the readers in such a way that the readers can connect to your story emotionally. Therefore, while writing a descriptive essay, make sure you acknowledge your emotions and supplement the essay with sensory details. The sensory explanations persuade the readers to keep reading till the end.
    5.       The conclusion is the summary and reflection of the whole essay. As this is the final part of the descriptive essay, it should be well written.

Sample Essay: The Addiction I had

Addiction is a complex brain condition that is usually manifested by the compulsive use of substances which usually have harmful outcomes. Drug addiction or substance abuse is one of the common problems among adults in our society. Since, I have had the drug addiction, therefore, I can say with conviction that drug addiction not only destroys your physical and mental health, but also completely ruins your personality. In this essay, I will explain my story of hope, the importance of family support, and recovery from drug addiction to help others who are struggling with the same problem.

Addiction of any kind in which a certain habit is negatively impacting everyday life activities should be considered alarming. Due to drug addiction, I suffered a lot in my early teenage years. Although I was not a drinker during my early teenage years in college, due to bad company and peer pressure, I started taking pills. These pills worked as stimulants and initially I took them for recreation purposes. Another factor that made it easy for me was that accessibility to these pills was relatively easy and I could order them over the internet.

However, with time, I started taking them regularly. Any addict initially denies acknowledging the compulsive desires. This denial leads to a harmful urge which ultimately leads to losing control over one's will and drugs become a necessity. It also happened to me. Initially I didn’t pay heed to the matter, but when I realized it was too late. My family got to know about my addiction when my drug use escalated. My studies were severely affected because of my addiction and I lost contact with a lot of friends.

There is a sample essay for a better understanding about writing a good descriptive essay on a topic; however, if you still don’t know how to write an impactful essay, you can reach out to a professional essay writing service for help.

That was the time when my family got worried about me and took me to the rehabilitation center. I started to realize that I was a drug addict who had no purpose in life. That was the moment of shame and immeasurable embarrassment. In the rehabilitation center, everything seemed crumbling around me. My family got me admitted to the treatment program in the rehabilitation center where I was medically detoxified. During my treatment, I learned that addiction can be a lifelong condition and one has to take full responsibility to keep control over one’s desires. After a few months of treatment, I was detoxified and clean. I came back home feeling stronger and decided to take back control of my life and enrolled myself in college to finish my graduation.

To conclude, the whole experience made me learn how a person can overcome any challenge. It is truly said that if there is a will, there's a way to get out of the difficult situation. A proper treatment and family support along with a proper treatment are effective ways to get out of any addiction in life.   

Useful Resources:

100+ Strong Argumentative Essay Topics by Professionals

3 Different Types of Argument: Definition and Examples

500 Word Essay - A How-to Guide with Sample and Topics

9 Types of Essay with Definitions and Expert Examples

A Complete List of Transition Words for Essays

This post was edited by Deleted Member at January 18, 2022 12:30 PM +06